Oral cancer is a serious dental concern and requires immediate treatment as all cancers can become life-threatening. A visit to your Dentist in Centurion will help you maintain better oral care and expert advice on any suspicious, irregularities.
What is oral cancer and who is at risk? – Dentist in Centurion
Oral cancer spreads rapidly and affects the surrounding gum tissue of the mouth. Usually, it can manifest as a sore in the mouth, which even with antibiotics and treatments just doesn’t seem to get better.
Oral cancer can affect various parts of the mouth including the tongue, lips, palate, sinuses and throat. Patients are more prone to develop mouth cancer as a result of excessive smoking (cigarettes, pipes, cigars), the use of tobacco and tobacco products, excessive alcohol consumption, hereditary cases, excessive sun exposure, and some HPVs (Human Papillomavirus). However, people who do not smoke are also at risk of developing oral cancer.
Possible signs of oral cancer – Dentist in Centurion
The signs of oral cancer include but are not limited to the following:
- A hoarse/sore throat that doesn’t get better
- Speckled red, velvet and white-like patches within the mouth
- Bleeding mouth that carries on for weeks
- Soreness of the face and neck
- Problems with being able to fit your dentures properly
- Extreme weight loss over a short time
- A difficulty with jaw movement, speech and the ability to eat
Treatment for oral cancer
If it’s been discovered that a patient has oral cancer, steps to undergo treatment is imperative to avoid it from getting worse and spreading. Treatment may include radiation, but also the removal of the cancerous tissues within the mouth. Some patients will also need to undergo chemotherapy, as oral cancer is the same in nature as other forms of cancers.
You can examine your own mouth and check for any irregularities such as lumps and swelling of lymph nodes, discolouring throughout your mouth and sores that won’t heal. You can lessen your chances of developing this illness by limiting exposure to sunlight, refrain from smoking and using tobacco products as well as practicing good oral hygiene.
Regular visits to the dentist is also a great way to make sure that everything is healthy and in good condition.
For great dental care that you can trust for yourself and your family, visit your dentist in Centurion. With highly trained professional staff, you can rest assured that you’re in good hands.
Other Popular articles your might find interesting – Dentist in Centurion
- How to Reduce Receding Gums
- Wisdom Tooth Infections Signs, Treatment and Removal
- 7 Ways to Getting Stronger Teeth Naturally
- 8 Dental Tips Everyone Should Know
- Popular Teeth Trends that do Damage to Your Teeth
- A 101 Guide to Dental Implants