Fluoride is an essential part of dental care, and it can help preserve the health of your teeth. Some countries around the world incorporate this in their drinking water while others don’t. In this post, we look at 8 facts that revolve around this topic by your best dentist in Centurion.
We know that this is found in toothpaste and dental mouthwash, but do we know what fluoride does for our teeth and general health?
Fluoride – Here are 8 Interesting Facts to Consider from your Dentist Centurion
- Not good for infants – Fluoride may help with some teeth maintenance, but it isn’t good for newborn babies. Some studies have suggested that children who grow up in high fluorated areas developed lower IQ’s compared to children who weren’t exposed to so much.
- Pills aren’t beneficial – In order for it to work, it has to come into contact with teeth. However, when patients swallow fluoride pills, it makes no teeth contact.
- Healthy teeth- Some studies have shown that it can help cut down on some dental problems in certain places with fluorated water
- Low amounts used in Randburg – Fluorated water is less than 1% of the water in Randburg Water supply of drinking water in South Africa.
- Governance – Legislation regarding fluoride water by the health department began in 2001 and the main areas receiving this water being rural because of the lack of fluoride toothpaste.
- Can have side effects – may affect some tissues in the body
- Natural substance – Flouride derives from a natural element called fluorine
- Too much can be harmful – An excessive exposure to this can cause skeletal fluorosis and dental fluorosis
When last have you visited your affordable dentist in Centurion? Contact us TODAY and make your booking
Other articles that might interest you
- Understanding Same Day Dental Implants: Your Centurion Dental Care
- Are You Suffering from Bruxism? Let your Dentist in Centurion Help
- Can your Dentist Centurion Help you Combat Periodontal Disease?
- Teeth Restoration Helping the Local Community to Smile Again
- Straighten Dental Overcrowding with Help From your Dentist
- Who needs braces? A word from your Best Dentist Centurion