Dentures are great substitutes for missing teeth and they help improve digestion and complete a smile. However, there are also some disadvantages to having dentures as well as many other advantages. In this post, your dentist discusses some of the pros and cons of this type of teeth.
What are dentures?
Simply put, they are prosthetic teeth used to substitute actual teeth lost throughout a patient’s lifetime. There are different types including half and full sets of dentures. The teeth are made with different types of materials including acrylic, metal and resin. Some dentures are fixed to the other permanent teeth with metal clasps, while others are removable.
What are the pros and cons?
- Making dentures doesn’t take as long to make as it may be for other dental procedures
- The process is more affordable than dental implants
- The prosthetic teeth is durable and able to withstand bite pressure
- Can be changed as the teeth and gums change
- Look and feel like real teeth
- Provides support to weak gums and give the face a “fuller” look
- Improves the patient’s confidence
- No need for surgery
- Takes time to adjust to the teeth, and thus for the first few days or weeks it takes some getting used to
- Although they are strong, they are not permanent
- Sometimes infections occur when the teeth doesn’t fit properly
- Dentures reduces the ability to taste food properly
- The teeth may need additional adjustments over time to ensure they fit
You can get dentures made by your Dentist in Centurion
Your dentist would most likely examine your mouth and take x-rays to see the state of your teeth and gums. The process can takes around 3 to 6 weeks to complete and a series of impressions and fittings is taken during the time. In some cases, the dentist is able to make an emergency set of teeth in a matter of days. However, the time frame to have teeth made depends on the state of the patient’s mouth. Contact us TODAY to make a booking
Other articles that might interest you
- Dental Visits: What Can You Expect from a Dental Visit
- Do You Suffer From Dry Mouth? Your Dentist Talks about the Causes
- What is Enamel Demineralization? Dentist can help the health of your teeth
- Can A Dentist Fix my Receding Gums?
- Occupational Therapist in Midrand
- Is Mouthwash Good For You? Insightful word from your tandarts Centurion