Our wisdom teeth are the last sets of teeth to grow and usually begin at around late adolescence. However, useful they can be when healthy; wisdom teeth can also pose a number of dental problems. If you need help with your wisdom teeth and dental care that you can trust, then visit your recommended dentist in Centurion today.
Can wisdom teeth become infected?
Like all teeth in our mouths, the wisdom teeth can also become infected and sometimes even without an infection; some patients still have issues with it. An infection can result due to a number of reasons such as:
- Insufficient space – The lack of space your wisdom teeth may have to fully grow and instead a flap of gum tissue may obstruct the growth and end-up harbouring germs and bacteria that lead to infection.
- Impacted wisdom teeth – This also occurs due to a lack of space and the teeth will then get stuck midway through and not completely grow.
- Too far to reach when brushing – the wisdom teeth may also be very far back in the mouth which makes cleaning them hard.
Signs of infection – Dentist in Centurion
Here are some of the symptoms of wisdom teeth infection to be watchful for:
- Pain and swelling of the gums
- Gum is exuding puss
- Difficulty swallowing or opening the mouth
- Bad breath
- Swollen and painful lymph nodes
- A fever develops
If you suspect infection, make sure that you book an appointment with your affordable dentist in centurion and get to the root of any wisdom teeth problem before it gets any worse.
Treatment and removal of wisdom teeth
Medication and natural treatment – Dentist in Centurion
Patients can resort to OTC medications to help alleviate any pain (anti-inflammatory meds or aspirins) as a result of their wisdom teeth causing discomfort. Antibiotics can also be used to help with any of the infections as well as mouth wash or salt water rinses.
Most patients also resort to surgery as this is sometimes the best way to deal with infection and other ongoing problems. Surgery will involve completely removing the wisdom tooth/teeth to avoid any other future infections or cysts from developing.
Your Centurion dental care professional will help you solve your wisdom tooth problems and because they are highly skilled and trained, they can advise you on the best options to suit you.
Other Popular articles your might find interesting – Dentist in Centurion
- How to Reduce Receding Gums
- 7 Ways to Getting Stronger Teeth Naturally
- 8 Dental Tips Everyone Should Know
- Popular Teeth Trends that do Damage to Your Teeth
- A 101 Guide to Dental Implants