Receding gums is not an uncommon issue among patients visiting their dentists, the question often asked is can it be fixed? In this post, we touch on why people suffer from receding gums, and possible treatment options.
What is receding gums and can I get help from my dentist in Centurion?
Receding gums is the process by which the gums move up towards and further away from the teeth. In some cases, it becomes so bad that it eventually starts to expose the tooth’s root, which results in severe pain.
The exposed section where the gum used to be leaves a bare space for bacteria and germs to accumulate which can result in gum disease and illness. Your recommended dentist in Centurion will be able to identify whether or not you have receding gums and advise on the steps to follow.
How do I know my gums are receding and must I see the dentist as soon as I suspect it?
Yes! Seeing your dentist at the first signs of receding gums is very important. Without a trained eye from your dentist, you may find this easy to miss. In cases that are more obvious the following may occur in the event:
- Tooth sensitivity as the gum shifts further exposing more of the tooth
- Teeth may look longer than usual
- You may feel a bump at the very top of the tooth closest to the gumline
- Your teeth may feel loose as a result of it being slowly disconnected from the jaw
Receding gums occur due to the following:
- Periodontal disease – this disease often happens with excessive smoking and can cause eventual tooth loss as it attacks the gum tissue.
- Genetics – Sometimes receding gums occur as a result of genetics (if you have family members who suffered from the same problem)
- Brushing teeth aggressively – Some people tend to brush their teeth hard and this can cause damage to the gum resulting in receding gums.
- Bruxism (teeth grinding) – Grinding teeth can result in gums receding.
Specialized dentists can help with procedures such as:
- Flap surgery
- Gum Graft
If you need more advice or looking for an affordable dentist in centurion, then you’ve come to the right place. Book your consultation today.
Other articles that might interest you
- Is Mouthwash Good For You? Insightful word from your tandarts Centurion
- Centurion Dentistry Care: Dental Bridges VS Dental Crowns – What’s the Difference?
- What Are Dental Fillings? Get professional service from dentist Centurion
- 5 Facts About Tooth Extractions – Emergency Dentist Centurion
- 5 Reasons To Ensure Your Child’s Baby Teeth Stay Healthy