Bleeding gums happens to many people and isn’t an uncommon situation, however, it can be caused by various factors, some are health related. Your dentist in Centurion can help you get to the root of the problem and find the best treatment solutions.
What causes bleeding gums and can my dentist in Centurion help?
Bleeding gums are often caused by plaque. When plaque isn’t removed properly, it can cause the gums to become inflamed as they continue to irritate the gums and worsen. Eventually, the gums will bleed. Bleeding gums is a cause for concern as this can evolve into a gum disease called gingivitis as well as other health concerns.
When plaque is trapped in-between teeth and gums, and as it hardens it forms gaps forcing the gum to recede from the teeth. Apart from the plaque, bleeding gums can also result due to:
- Brushing your teeth with too much force
- Medications such as blood thinners or anticoagulants
- A very hard toothbrush
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy
- Tooth cavities
- Bleeding disorders
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Sores within the mouth
- Health conditions and illnesses (leukemia, diabetes, heart disease)
What are the symptoms of bleeding gums?
The symptoms of bleeding gums may vary from one patient to the next and relates to the actual cause of the bleeding gums. If the patient is suffering from gingivitis they may experience:
- Receding gums as the plaque separate the gum from the root by forming pockets between the teeth and gum
- Gum sensitivity
- Gums are easily bruised
- Gums tend to bleed when brushed
- Bad breath
- Tooth loss and tooth sensitivity
Treatment for bleeding gums | Dentist in Centurion
Taking care of your teeth by regularly visiting your Dentist Centurion together with correct oral care will help you keep bleeding gums under wraps.
- Brush twice a day for two minutes
- Floss at least once a day
- Use a good mouthwash
- Avoid acidic food and maintain a healthy diet
- Use a softer toothbrush
- Visit your dentist for a better cleaning
- Rinse with warm salt water
- Avoid sugary foods and candy
Recommended dentist in Centurion has several years of expertise and experience with various patients. Bleeding gums can be treated and avoided with proper oral care, so speak to your affordable dentist in Centurion for more information and to book your consultation.
Other Popular articles your might find interesting – Dentist in Centurion
- How to Reduce Receding Gums
- What is Oral Cancer?
- Wisdom Tooth Infections Signs, Treatment and Removal
- 7 Ways to Getting Stronger Teeth Naturally
- 8 Dental Tips Everyone Should Know
- Popular Teeth Trends that do Damage to Your Teeth
- A 101 Guide to Dental Implants