Most people dislike tooth extractions and a good dentist Centurion will do their utmost best to help you save your good teeth and avoid extraction where possible. So, why do we extract our teeth and why is it so scary at times? In this post, we have a look at some facts regarding the process of tooth extraction.
What is tooth extraction?
Tooth extraction is the process of removing the entire tooth from the bone and is necessary due to various factors.
Some reasons for tooth extractions
- When a tooth is impacted – Impacted teeth often occurs with wisdom teeth. This happens with the teeth tries to grow out of the gum line but is blocked and cannot push through. This can lead to various other implications.
- Overcrowding – Overcrowding can stop other teeth from being able to grow properly and a dentist may need to extract the overcrowded teeth to make room for the others to come through.
- Severe tooth damage – Teeth are damaged in various ways and severely damaged teeth often need to be extracted to prevent further problems.
- Tooth infection – Teeth can be infected due to cysts and decay and when the infection is too severe to repair, the tooth is extracted.
Your affordable dentist Centurion may recommend extraction when the teeth are beyond repair means. However, before going ahead with an extraction, the dentist will examine the tooth or teeth and in most times extraction is the very last option to problematic teeth. A good dentist will first try to save the tooth with a root canal or other means of dental restoration.
Process and aftercare for extractions from your dentist Centurion
Most patients only need a simple extraction, and a dentist uses a forceps to remove the tooth from its socket in the bone. The other method is surgical tooth extractions. During a surgical extraction, the tooth is removed by being cut out. Surgical tooth extractions are more painful than simple tooth extractions because they require surgical procedures and stronger anesthesia.
Be sure to follow the aftercare instructions from your recommended dentist in Centurion to ensure a smoother healing process and prevent infection. The extraction results in a wound, which needs proper care. It can take 2 weeks for your mouth to start feeling more comfortable but up to 6 months for proper healing, gum and bone restructuring.
Book your consultation at your affordable dentist in Centurion today!
Other Popular articles your might find interesting
- All you Need to Know About Dental Crowns from your Dentist
- Giving back to the Centurion Community
- Dental Whitening for a Glowing Smile
- Quality Dentures
- Your Best Dentist in Centurion Talks Dental Veneers
- Root Canal Treatment from your Best Dentist Centurion
- Can Children Get Dental Implants